Measures to Reduce the Number of Deaths on the Road
Below are some of the suggested measures:
– Reducing speed limits.
– Reducing the legal amounts of alcohol while driving from 0.5 g of alcohol per 1 liter of blood to a lower level, and even setting the limit at 0 for some populations.
– Protecting pedestrian crossings (by increasing fines, preventing drivers from stopping immediately before crossings to prevent cases in which a car hides a pedestrian, etc.
– Installing start-up breathalyzers in the cars of people convicted with DUI in order to make sure that they are sober at start-up.
– Improving road control by using new breathalyzers for example.
– Integrating a speed control device in cars in order to set the car’s speed according to the authorized speed limit in the region.
– Banning all forms of mobile phone use in cars, including the no-hand kit and Bluetooth.
– Forcing motorcyclists to wear reflective yellow vests, because they are the most vulnerable to fatal car crashes.
– Installing black boxes in cars in order to record data at the moment of impact. This would most certainly change the behavior of people behind the wheel.
– Reinforcing crash barriers.
– Forcing elderly people to visit the doctor in order to make sure that they are in good condition to drive.